Monday, July 22

wedding choices

If you didn't already know, I'm getting married in January. It's going to be a small, simple, and hopefully beautiful event in a remote part of Limpopo, surrounded by woods and vistas. Planning weddings, however, is not very simple. There are lots of options these days - it isn't just a choice between this or that Methodist church or this or that table setting. One confusion culprit is Pinterest. SO. MANY. IDEAS. All of the following can be found on my wedding pinterest board. Here are a couple that are annoying me (but only because they're so good I can't choose between them):

#1. Refreshment Service

Signature cocktails? Barrels of wine? Ice sculpture decanters? The choices are many and few prosper. I like the following: canoe-to-the-brim, giant jars, and delicate glass urns.


There are pros and cons. For the canoe, the pro is that it's a canoe, and canoes are cool. The con is that all the ice will turn to water, and the night might get super cold. We'd also have to get a canoe there. Of course, we wouldn't have to make anything (except the ice... and maybe the canoe). For the jars, the pro is that we can save money by mixing our own drinks, but that's also a con because ain't nobody got time to invent a damn cocktail. Also, stuff could fall in there! But they're so much cheaper than the urns, which are pretty but could get clogged.... AHHHHH!

#2. Dress the Men

How do you put it nicely? "I need to approve your outfit because it's my wedding and you're just the groom." "No, you're not allowed to choose your own clothes, because what if you look smarter than me?" "I don't care if you're allergic to poppies, you'll wear one in your buttonhole." Not that I've exactly said any of these, but I'm pretty lost on deciding mens attire, specifically Mart and his groomsmen. Casual bowties or waistcoats or rolled up sleeves or check shirts or plain shirts? All I'm sure of is that I need to decide, because who knows what Jeandre will wear if I don't prescribe something!!!



#3. Headgear

The fact is that I love flowers, and I'm really keen to wear something in my hair, especially because of the natural beauty that we'll be surrounded by on the day. But a floral wreath isn't a simple thing! On the one hand, I'd be excited to do something daring with big full flowers, but part of me feels like I'll look childish and silly, and longs for simpler smaller detailed work... what about just leaves? It's all so pretty! There are so many more options on my pinterest board, here are just a few:


#4. Sweet Delights

I lurve the sweet stuff. I'm just a bit confused as how to serve it to people after dinner. Cakes are so pretty, and I love the white and green, and the natural exposed "nude" cakes too. I also love the idea of having a kind of "dessert bar" where people can help themselves to little bites (Martin's mom is a boss as making these). The guests could even take them home in take-away-style boxes for a "midnight snack", or something to eat on the way home. I really like the idea of this being a guest favour! The only con is... how do you have a special moment of "cutting the date square?" :/


Anyway, those are my current dilemmas. I'll have to consult the army of bridesmaids (including Emma of emmajanenation, the infamous Jade - @jadejessi to you - and Nicki Mother of Lou) to help trudge through the difficulties of trying to make the day as special for everyone else as it is for me! Expect a follow-up post as things get tighter...

No comments:

Post a Comment