Thursday, August 22

being lonely on the internet

It's difficult, when your life is so cluttered with notifications and updates, to focus on what's really important. One of the lies that social networking platforms tell us (and the internet at large - not excluding a blog like this one) is that we are always heard, and that this is a suitable replacement for face-to-face validation. Just the other day, I spoke to Emma about how leaving comments on blogs is so important (no pressure) because it's a real signal that someone has enjoyed what you've shared, and highlights the difference between a pageview count and actual knowledge that your voice is being heard.

Having said this, I just watched this beautiful infographic video by Shimi Cohen, and I suggest you take a look too:


Makes you think, doesn't it? I like to think that I interact with people on a real level, but the truth is I'm satisfied with facebook, and it's a problem. Every time I post, it makes other people feel like they can know what's going on in my life, when really I only post stuff that makes me look good and smart and beautiful (and that's not the real me). So while facebook is a lovely way to share, it's not an accurate reflection, and it's important to stop and remember that every once in a while (and even more than once).

No comments:

Post a Comment